8 organic boneless, skinless chicken thighs
3 tablespoons EVOO
1 yellow onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
Generous pinch red pepper flakes
1 cinnamon stick
1 bay leaf
2 cups organic chicken broth (low sodium)
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 cup canned chickpeas, drained, rinsed, and mixed with a spritz of lemon juice and a pinch of salt
8 jarred artichoke hearts
1/2 cup pitted green olives, such as picholine or manzanilla
2 teaspoons lemon zest
2 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped
Salt & pepper
1. Pat the chicken dry and season salt and pepper. Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven on high heat. Add the chicken, working in batches if necessary, and cook until well browned on each side, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
2. Decrease the heat to medium. Add the onion and a pinch of salt and sauté until soft and slightly golden, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add the turmeric, cumin, coriander, red pepper flakes, cinnamon stick, and bay leaf and cook. Stir constantly, until fragrant (about 2 minutes).
3. Pour in 1/4 cup of the broth to deglaze the pot, stirring to loosen any bits stuck to the pot. Stir in a pinch of salt and cook until the liquid is reduced by half. Stir in the remaining 1 3/4 cups of broth, the lemon zest, and 2 tablespoons of the lemon juice. Decrease the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Add the chicken, chickpeas, artichoke hearts, and olives and stir gently to combine. Increase the heat to medium-high and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is heated through, about 7 minutes.
5. Stir in the remaining tablespoon of lemon juice. Taste; you may want to add another squeeze of lemon juice or pinch of salt.
6. Garnish with mint.
**Serves 4-6; took a little over an hour.