2 tablespoons butter, melted
3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
9 oz Gruyere, shredded
8 oz thinly sliced black forest ham
1 1/4 cups whole milk
Salt & pepper
1. Cut half of the baguette into slices and half into 1/2 inch cubes. In a bowl, toss bread cubes in melted butter. With the bread slices, spread mustard on them and place them in a greased casserole dish. Overlapping is okay!
2. Sprinkle 1/3 of the cheese on top of bread slices; fold ham in half and place on top; sprinkle another 1/3 of cheese over ham.
3. Salt bread cubes, toss and distribute evenly over the bread/ham/cheese layers. Use the last third of cheese on top of the bread cubes.
4. Mix eggs and milk together in a small bowl. Pour over casserole and let stand for 30 minutes. While it's soaking, preheat oven to 400 degrees.
5. Grind fresh black pepper over casserole and bake for 30 minutes on a rack on the upper third of the oven.
6. Take out casserole and let stand for 5 minutes. Oui oui it's ready!