15 large eggs
2 cups shredded Gruyère cheese
1 cup whole milk
2 teaspoon kosher salt
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 tablespoons olive oil
5 medium green onions, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
8 ounces (thickly cut) ham, small dice
2 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, finely chopped
Black pepper, freshly ground
1. Heat the broiler to high and arrange a rack in the middle.
2. Whisk eggs, 1 1/4 cups of the cheese, milk, and salt in a large bowl until eggs are smooth. Season with freshly ground black pepper and set aside.
3. Heat butter and olive oil in a large, ovenproof frying pan over medium-high heat. When butter foams, add green onions and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender (about 3 minutes).
4. Add ham and thyme and cook for 5 minutes.
5. Pour egg mixture over shallot-ham mixture and reduce heat to medium low. Cook (covered) until eggs are set around the outer inch of the pan, about 15-20 minutes.
6. Sprinkle remaining cheese evenly over the frittata and place under the broiler until puffed, golden brown, and set in the middle, about 8 minutes.
**Serves 10; Takes 45 minutes.