"Like Better Than Sex Cake!" - my mother
1 box (18.5 oz.) German Chocolate Cake Mix
1 cup chopped pecans
1/3 cup evaporated milk
1/2 cup evaporated milk (additional)
1/2 cup butter, melted
60 whole caramels, unwrapped
1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
A few grinds of sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray two bread pans with cooking spray and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, mix together cake mix (just the powder, not the other ingredients asked for on the box), chopped pecans, 1/3 cup evaporated milk, and melted butter. Stir together until combined. Mixture will be very thick.
3. Press about 60% the mixture into the prepared pans. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove pans from oven and set aside.
4. In a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of boiling water, melt caramels with the additional 1/2 cup evaporated milk. This takes a long time, so what I did was heat it over the saucepan first, then microwave for 2 minutes, then finish up the melting process over the saucepan.
5. When melted and combined, pour over brownie base. Be careful as you pour as the middle of the cake isn't as sturdy and a big splash of hot caramel may break it causing the caramel to sink to the bottom. Sprinkle chocolate chips as evenly over the caramel.
6. Turn out remaining brownie dough on work surface. Use your hands to press it into a large rectangles a little smaller than the pan. Use a spatula to remove it from the surface, then set it on top of the caramel and chocolate chips. It's okay if there are some holes or you have to do it in pieces - the dough will come together as it bakes.
7. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Grind some sea salt over the top of the brownies while hot. Let rest for an hour before removing from the pans.
Makes 20 brownies.