The best thing about omelets is you can throw whatever you want into them and usually it turns out pretty good. I had some leftover mushrooms and onions from another dish I made, so I decided to make (a very easy) breakfast in bed for my beloved.
1/2 small box of mushrooms, sliced
1/2 small white onion, diced
1 small garlic clove, finely diced
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Teaspoon red pepper flakes
Teaspoon of thyme (dried)
Sea salt & pepper
2-3 tablespoons EVOO
1 handful of cheddar cheese
1. Put 2 tablespoons of EVOO in saute pan on medium-high heat. After a minute, put in the garlic and red bell pepper flakes. Let simmer for a minute or two, then drop in the onions. When those are golden brown, throw in the mushrooms.
2. When mushrooms start to soften, add salt, pepper, thyme and lemon juice. Let simmer for a few minutes until mushrooms are browned and ready. Take mushroom mix out of pan and put on a plate.
3. Crack 3 eggs into a bowl and whisk (with fork or whisk).
4. Add another tablespoon of EVOO to the pan and pour eggs in.
5. Let the eggs cook for a minute so that they are not completely liquidy, then put the mushroom mix on one side of the omelet. Sprinkle cheese on top of the mushrooms.
6. Pull the empty side of the omelet over the mushroom/cheese side, then flip omelet over. Push down a little bit on the top to make it flatter.
7. When the eggs brown a little on the top and the cheese is melted, salt & pepper the top of the omelette.
8. Plate and have a yummy breakfast!
Takes 25 minutes; Makes one huge omelet.