For the creamy tomato soup spread
3 tablespoons whipped cream cheese
8 whole sun dried tomatoes
2 tablespoons tomato paste
Pinch of salt
Freshly ground pepper
3 big handfuls of grated sharp white cheddar cheese
3 regular handfuls of grated gouda cheese (ask for one that melts well)
6 slices sourdough wheat bread
5 tablespoons butter, melted
1. Throw cream cheese, sun dried tomatoes, tomato paste, salt and a quick grind of pepper into an electric mixer. Mix until smooth and set aside.
2. Grate cheese and set aside.
3. Brush one side of each slice of bread with melted butter.
4. Spread one (nonbuttered) side of each sandwich with a thick layer of the tomato spread.
5. Warm a sauté pan over medium-low and put the slice of bread without tomato spread on it in, butter side down.
6. Sprinkle the cheddar and gouda cheese on top (more cheddar than gouda), then put the other slice of bread on top with the tomato spread side inside the sandwich. Press down on sandwich.
7. Reduce the heat a teeny bit and put the a lid on the pan. Let bread brown and cheese melt a few minutes. Depending on how toasted you like your grilled cheese, flip when when ready.
8. Put the lid back on and toast the other side.
9. Take out of pan and slice down the middle.
Takes about an hour (I took the slow route and grilled sandwiches one at a time); Serves 3 sandwiches.
**I served this dish with the green bean salad right above this post. A little greens for a lot of cheese!